Santa Croce occupies the western part of Venice. This is a small sestiere without major attractions.
However Santa Croce is very important from transport point of view.
Santa Croce is the only district you can reach by car. Ponte della Liberta ( bridge from the mainland ) ends in Santa Croce.
Santa Croce is also home to one of busiest spots in the city, Piazzale Roma.
Piazzale Roma is the main hub for road traffic in Venice. This is the only area you can reach by car in Venice. Piazzale Roma is also main hub for bus transport in Venice.
There are 2 other important traffic spots in Santa Croce:
WHAT TO SEE IN SANTA CROCE
- Ca’ Pesaro – currently gallery of modern art.
- Palazzo Mocenigo – museum of fabrics and costumes
- San Giacomo dell’Orio church
- Fondaco dei Turchi – currently Natural History Museum of Venice
- San Simeon Piccolo church
- San Stae church
- Constitution bridge ( Calatrava bridge, last bridge over the Grand Canal)
- San Nicola da Tolentino church
- Giardini Papadopoli park – botanical garden
I will mention just few of the most popular and best rated hotels in Santa Croce.
- Carlton on the Grand Canal – excellent 4 star hotel
- Palazzo Giovanelli e Gran Canal – excellent 4 star hotel
- Ca’ Nigra Lagoon Resort – another great 4 star hotel
WHERE TO EAT IN SANTA CROCE
- La Zucca – This is one of the best and most popular traditional restaurants in Venice.
- Trattoria Alla Feratta – Very popular place, great seafood and pizza.
- Ristorante Ribot – Very close to Piazzale Roma. This restaurant has a small garden.
VENICE DISTRICTS ( SESTIERI )