San Polo is the smallest district of Venice. It is centrally located between San Marco district
and Santa Croce district.
Rialto bridge and Rialto market is the heart of San Polo. Other important landmark is Campo San Polo ( largest campo after St. Mark’s Square).
San Polo is probably most famous beacuse of Rialto fresh market. Market is located next to Rialto bridge and is a good place to feel the real life of Venice. If you are staying in apartment you can buy fresh fish vegetables and fruit here.
Most important reason to visit San Polo is Scuola Grande di San Rocco. This amazing palace boasts more than 60 most important works by Tintoretto.
Area next to Rialto bridge is lined with restaurants with some of the best views on the Grand Canal. Small streets close to Rialto are also full of small shops selling shoes, bags, leather goods etc.
Campo San Polo is the second largest Public square in Venice.
WHAT TO SEE IN SAN POLO SESTIERE
- Rialto Bridge
- Rialto fresh market
- Campo San Polo
- Casa di Goldoni. Birthplace of Carlo Goldoni and currently a museum dedicated to famous writer.
- Church of San Polo
- Church of San Rocco
- Scuola Grande di San Rocco
- Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari
San Polo is very close to main attractions located in San Marco but is not as busy as San Marco district. It is also relatively close to Dorsoduro district. This means that you will be able to get quickly to Accademia Gallery, Peggy Guggenheim museum and other sites in Dorsoduro.
I will mention just few very good hotels located in San Polo district.
- Palazzeto Madonna: Excellent 4 star hotel close to Rialto. Hotel has only 15 rooms.
- Hotel L’Orologio: 4 star hotel next to Rialto bridge. Hotel has 45 rooms.
- Palazzo Barbarigo Sul Canal Grande: 4 star hotel overlooking the Grand Canal. Hotel has only 18 rooms.
WHERE TO EAT IN SAN POLO
- La Zucca: one of the best small restaurants in Venice.
- Trattoria alla Madonna: great seafood very close to Rialto bridge.
- Antiche Carampane: very good seafood, however it takes a bit more to find this restaurant as it is located in the middle of San Polo district.
VENICE DISTRICTS ( SESTIERI )