Castello district occupies the eastern part of Venice. This is the biggest district, most known because of Arsenale and Art Bienalle. This is also one of the few remaining residential areas in the city.
Easiest way to reach Castello sestiere is to take a walk along the Riva degli Schiavoni. Riva degli Schiavoni starts in San Marco district and takes you slowly towards Castello. When you reach wide Rio del’Arsenal turn left and you will reach Venice famous shipyard. If you continue along Riva Ca’ di Dio and Riva S. Biasio you will reach Giardinni Pubblicci. This where Bienalle pavilions are located.
Castello is not as grandiose as San Marco or Dorsoduro but it still offers interesting sights. If you are close to Arsenale make sure to see Lion of Piraues. This famous statue was looted from Athens in 1687 by Francesco Morosini and it has fascinating history.
Another interesting part of Castello is Giardini Pubblici. This large public park was created by Napoleon and is currently home to Venice Art Bienalle. There are 30 permanent pavilions in the gardens.
If you reach this area make sure to visit La Serra dei Giardini. This is steel greenhouse built in 1894. It was restored in 1990 and currently offers different activities for children and families.
WHAT TO SEE IN CASTELLO DISTRICT
- Arsenal – Famous shipyard and armory.
- Scuola Grande di San Marco – One of six major Scuole Grandi of Venice
- Giardini Publici – Large public gardens and home to Bienalle
- Church of Santi Giovanni e Paolo
- Campo Santa Maria Formosa
- Lion of Piraeus
- Naval Museum ( Museo Storico Navale )
- San Zaccaria Church
- Londra Palace – 5 star hotel on Riva degli Schiavoni
- Savoia & Jolanda – 4 star hotel on Riva degli Schiavoni
- Aqua Palace – design hotel in the heart of Venice close to Rialto
- Ruzzini Palace Hotel – 4 star hotel on Campo Santa Maria Formosa
WHERE TO EAT IN CASTELLO DISTRICT
- Dal Moro’s Fresh Pasta to go
- Osteria Oliva Nera – Traditional Venetian osteria. One of the best restaurants in Castello
- Ristorante ai Barbacani – If you are looking for a romantic place to eat.
VENICE DISTRICTS ( SESTIERI )