Cannaregio district is the northern part of Venice and most important area from transport point of view.
Piazzale Roma is also main hub for all busses that come into Venice and home to San Marco garage.
Cannaregio is not as popular as Dorsoduro or San Marco, it is mostly quiet residential area.
However Cannaregio is popular choice to stay if you have only one or 2 days in Venice and you want to stay somewhere close to the Train Station or Piazzale Roma.
If you stay in Cannaregio you will save some time that you would normally spend dragging your luggage around Venice trying to locate your hotel. This is not trivial task as Venice is full of canals and footbridges.
SANTA LUCIA TRAIN STATION AND PIAZZALE ROMA
- Venice main train station is located in Cannaregio.
- Piazzale Roma, main road traffic hub is also located in Cannaregio.
WHAT TO SEE IN CANNAREGIO
- Ca’ D’Oro Famous pallazzo on the Grand Canal and one of best examples of Venetian gothic. Ca’ D’Oro is currently home to Galleria Giorgio Franchetti.
- Jewish Ghetto
- Palazzo Labia. Great baroque palace with frescoed ballroom painted by Tiepolo.
- Lista di Spagna. Colourful street connecting Cannaregio with Rialto area.
- Santa Maria dei Miracoli. One of the best examples of Venetian Renaissance
As I mentioned earlier Cannaregio is good option if you have only one or two days to spend in Venice and you don’t want to lose too much time trying to find your hotel in a maze of streets and canals.
In this case staying close to Train station of Piazzale Roma can save you a lot of time.
One of the most popular hotel streets is Lista di Spagna. It is very close to Piazzale Roma and
train station and very easy to find if you are travelling by car or train.
I will mention just few:
- Hotel Amadeus: 4 star hotel on Lista di Spagna. Very close to train station.
- Boscolo Bellini: another 4 star hotel on Lista di Spagna.
- Hotel Abbazia: interesting 3 star hotel with a large garden.
If you need a hotel close to train station read this post: Hotels near train station.
WHERE TO EAT IN CANNAREGIO
- Osteria al Cicheto: one of the best small restaurants close to train station.
- Trattoria Il Vagone: great cicchetteria close to Strada Nova.
- Trattoria da Jonny: traditional trattoria with a modern spin.
VENICE DISTRICTS ( SESTIERI)